DR. SAAD SAAD: THE OBJECT SWALLOWING SPECIALIST

Dr. Saad Saad was born in Palestine and was raised mostly in Kuwait. He is one of eight siblings. He is a graduate of Cairo University in Egypt and received his medical degree in 1971 where he majored in thoracic and pediatric surgery. Dr. Saad Saad has over 40 years of experience in pediatric surgery. Saad considers Dr. H. Biemann Othersen as his biggest mentor. The two met back in 1978 in South Carolina as Saad was training as a pediatric surgeon. Saad learned from his mentor how to be professional and to show kindness and to treat everyone the same, regardless of their upbringing. Saad has been married for over 42 years and has four children, all of which are career professionals: Two are surgeons, one is an attorney and the other is an ICU nurse. In an April 2018 article in Medicaldailytimes.com, BJ Hetherington dives into some of Dr. Saad Saad’s advice when children swallow objects. The entire article can be read at the following link: http://medicaldailytimes.com/doctors/hard-to-swallow-advice-from-dr-saad-saad/3663/ .

 

As a pediatric surgeon, Dr. Saad Saad has many years of experience helping children remove foreign objects from the throat. BJ’s article interviewing Saad goes into the basics of when a child swallows an object that is not food. At such a very young age, kids cannot comprehend what is appropriate to swallow. When it happens, Dr. Saad Saad notes the common signs as being trouble breathing, trouble swallowing and wheezing. Interestingly, Saad notes that if you hold a young child by their legs upside down and tap on their back, the stuck objects should pop right out. For older children, it is more appropriate to perform the Heimlich maneuver. After this, it is necessary to take the child to the ER. Once at the ER, x-rays will be performed to see the damage caused by the swallowed object. One notable fact is that Saad has invented a way to help doctors improve the use of endoscopes which assist in viewing the inside of the throat.

 

BJ’s interview continues with Dr. Saad describing two dangerous objects when swallowed by a child: Batteries and peanuts. Because of their relatively small size, batteries are considered by Dr. Saad as the most dangerous of objects. They can leak toxic acids and cause severe injuries to a child. Peanuts are small and can get stuck in the child’s windpipe and thereby cause additional blockage. Saad advises to not allow children under the age of seven to eat peanuts. Dr. Saad advises all parents to watch their kids closely around objects and for parents to watch that other siblings do not stick objects in their brother’s or sister’s mouths.

 

All in all, Dr. Saad Saad has a proven track record treating children with stuck objects over his long and prosperous career. Learn more: https://health.usnews.com/doctors/saad-saad-966528

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *